Friday, November 05, 2004

Ever wondered about how much u really know a person?? Beyond tat facade, do u really know how much truths and lies are being told? I have an interesting point to ponder... when u ask a person wat are their interests and hobbies... they can give u lots of colourful and unique types of answers tat you would least expect... same goes to the kinds of music they love, or even jus whatever opinions u ask from them. When I read Xiaxue's blog, it really hit me hard, tat sometimes, people are jus not being truthful enough, not even to themselves...

People want to be known as fashionable; therefore they wanna go with the flow... I vividly remember when I was in primary school, songs like Mariah Carey's "Hero" and "Without You", or Air Supply's "Goodbye" was really popular, tat I caught my Chinese music loving classmates singing and humming to these tunes, so I questioned one of them:

Syl: Hey Amy, how come u start to like these songs when u usually
listen to Aaron Kwok's music. I mean u don't really like English
music rite?

Amy: Yah, I jus follow fashion.

Syl: ...

I mean its not a crime to fall for popular songs or anything like tat, but why deceive yourself and force yourself to like them when u really don't?? Jus because liking bubblegum pop music is not seen as cool, no matter how much u like it, u will deny it and say they suck. Or u wanna be known as unique, so u announce that you like jazz, punk, rock...whatever tat seems to sound intellectual or uncommon! Till this day, I'm still puzzled over this. Or take interests and hobbies for tat matter, I see people proclaiming all of a sudden that they are in love with whatever that they haven't exactly been interested just because it's the trend now...

Some people might feel that I'm not "in" enough, or being a "kentang"(which means potato in malay) jus cuz I don't really listen to Chinese music.. But at least I know I'm being truthful to myself... trust me, I have tried to tune in to Y.E.S.933FM to get myself enticed, but alas, only a few of them could do it for me... I jus can't seem to like Chinese songs as much as I love English songs... till now, I can't explain why myself... but note: I'm not prejudiced against them, and I don't go against them....some are really worth listening to...


"Truth is generally the best vindication against slander" Abraham Lincoln


Lady Syl scribbled at 4:35 PM

1 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Fifi Zhang said…

    Yeah, I agree... For me, why bother if its english, chinese, japanese, korean, indian, malay, celtic or eveninstrumental music?? I say, any music that has a good beat and makes your heart goes singing and dancing... Now that's what I call Music of My Soul....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

FactS Of AbsoLuTelY Me...

Who am I: Sylvia Liu

My favourite places:
Mei Chin Primary School
Broadrick Secondary School
Nanyang Polytechnic
Curtin University of Technology

Horoscope: Libra - Scorpio

Favourite colour: Yellow

Interests: Books, Greek mythologies, movies, shopping, hair, travelling, clarinets, salsa dance, Human Resources, Psychology, dogs

Location: Singapore

Family culture: My family and relatives practise kissing on cheeks and hugging. Some may find it weird, or tat we are too "ang-moish", but tat's how we express love.

Character: Wateva u perceive me to be... I shouldn't be praising myself, nor should I be condemning myself either

Wat else:
A gurl who may look aloof and reserved to u initially, but after the warm up session is over, will turn into a talkative person tat u may not be able to tolerate eventually. Turns uncontrollably into a replica of an alien when provoked(close friends and family members can vouch for tat). A narcissist...a nostalgic person...Absolutely affectionate to my chums, and hope tat my feelings are reciprocated...but i know they are, cos i have a bunch of alter egos tat have left wonderful footprints in my life(u know who u are).